Engagement: An education solutions company engaged The InSource Group to provide a full spectrum of staff augmentation and temporary IT support personnel, with skill-sets ranging from senior executives to Project Managers, Java/J2EE Developers, QA Analysts, and UI/UX Designers.
Scope of Work:
The Insource Group personnel performed new and existing application development and maintenance tasks under the guidance of the client’s management team. These tasks and technologies included:
- Developed Java Swing based applications as well as SOA services with Java, Spring, Hibernate, JIBX, and Oracle 10g.
- Implemented business processes, tuned database queries, developed reports, and improved performance.
- Created use case diagrams, object model diagrams, activity diagrams, class diagrams, sequence diagrams, deployment diagrams using UML for documentation and design.
- Developed interfaces to external applications, modifying custom workflow engine.
- Developed JSP clients to call web services. Developed systems with a combination of Java, JBoss, Axis, J2EE, JSP, EJB, MDB, JDBC, SQL, JMS, Hibernate, Spring, WebLogic, Struts, and Tomcat, Oracle, MS SQL Server, Perl, HTML, XML, email (SMTP), FTP, unix shell (csh, ksh, and bash), Junit, Ant, Log4j, CVS, SVN, LDAP.
- Performed unit-level testing of developed software applications.
- Documented and updated design and development documentation.
Technologies utilized: Java, J2EE, Spring, Hibernate, JSP, EJB, JMS, JSF, JBoss, Java Script, HTML5, DHTML, XML, XHTML, CSS, jQuery, SQL Server, Oracle.
Relevance to USAC: The IT staff augmentation services provided to the client were equivalent in skill-set and meet or exceed the maximum number of resources and dollar amount required in the RFP.
Results: The InSource Group has provided over 60, high-level application and software development personnel to the client. These highly-qualified and technical personnel have allowed the client to consistently increase revenue, deliver projects on time and within budget, and ultimately have assisted the client in becoming the largest provider of extended-time reading intervention and adventure-based programs in the United States’ public schools system.
Unique Characteristics/Problems Encountered/Corrective Actions: Our client merged with another educational software firm. One of the issues encountered in this merger was a very high number of existing and uncompleted application development projects without any internal process or management structure to organize and prioritize the projects to merge the two companies’ existing development teams effectively. The InSource Group was tasked with locating and providing a high-level Project Manager with merger and acquisition experience to assist our client with this issue. The Project Manager provided by The InSource Group was able to quickly establish a management structure, prioritize projects, and effectively integrate the existing development teams to allow successful completion of the existing projects.